Monday, April 23, 2018

School Library Month 2018

I didn't wait for anyone to celebrate me this month, I simply celebrated it myself and let everyone else in on it as well. I took this as an opportunity to advocate for school libraries. I sent an email each week and gave out prizes.

For the first week of the month I sent this email to my entire staff and our superintendents:
April is School Library Month!
I'm a bit early, but I wanted to share before Spring Break.
To celebrate, please contribute your favorite memory to this Padlet wall and you'll be entered into a drawing for a prize package of books.

I'll be sharing facts about school libraries throughout the month, but here are a few facts about our own school library.

I made the infographic in Canva. I loved finding out the reading memories of the staff. I stole this idea from Colby Sharp's presentation at SCASL this year.

For the second week this was my email: 
I hope that when you hear "school library", positive thoughts and memories come to mind. Please share your thoughts on this Answer Garden.
After you post, email me and I'll enter your name into the prize drawing. Thank you to Mrs. Barbusca, Ms. Oliver, Mrs. Selman, Ms. Moye, and Mr. Chapman for adding to the reading memories Padlet.

Here are a few facts about the impact that school libraries have on student learning.
Image result for capstone power of libraries
For the third week I shared this email:
Please enjoy this short video from Jason Reynolds sharing his love for libraries.
Add a "shelfie" to the Padlet wall for another entry in the book prize drawing. Pose with a favorite book or the book you are currently reading.

If you're not already convinced about the impact of school libraries, here are a few stats from over a decade of research:
  • students earn better standardized test scores in schools with strong library programs
  • strong library programs are linked to higher graduation rates and mastery of academic standards
  • benefits are the strongest for the most vulnerable learners like students of color, low-income students, and those with disabilities
The strongest school library programs:
  • align to school and district priorities
  • utilize librarians as instructional and technology coaches
  • expect collaboration between librarians and teachers

"Why School Librarians Matter: What Years Of Research Tell Us - Kappanonline.Org." kappanonline.org. N. p., 2018. Web. 27 Mar. 2018.


For the final week this was my email: 
One more article worth sharing for School Library Month. One of my literacy heroes, Donalyn Miller, so eloquently shares why reading and access to books changes lives.
This is why being a librarian isn’t just a job to me, it is a passion. It is an honor to serve the students and staff at Wren. 

Thanks for playing along with the School Library Month drawings. Special thanks to Mrs. Teal, Mr. Chapman, Mrs. Weatherford, Mrs. Barbusca, Ms. Oliver, Mrs. Bertram, Mrs. Selman, and Ms. Moye.
After a random number drawing, the winner of the library prize pack is Ms. Oliver! Please stop by and pick up your prize.
I recognized and rewarded my top ten library patrons: STUDENT NAMES

The teacher prize was a chalkboard basket with books, hand sanitizer, sticky notes and pencils. The student top patron came in and choose a book from my prize book stash.

I also asked each of our district's librarians to complete a Google Slides about themselves, modeled after Scholastic Librarian Spotlights. Then I shared them on Twitter.

A few weeks ago, our Assistant Superintendent asked me to write up an article highlighting some of the programs and lessons I'd planned this year. It was weird writing in third person, but I did write it up and send to her. She shared as a press release for School Library Month and it was published in our local paper.
There was also a picture, but it didn't show up online. Don't be afraid to toot your own horn. Just the sharing of this article on our state association Facebook page reached over 900 people. I don't consider that a win for me, it is a win for school libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment