Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pinterest Show and Tell

Today I was trying to come up with a few new ideas for professional development sessions that I could lead as part of our Tech Flex program.  As I wandered around online looking for ideas I remembered seeing something called a Pinterest party. Pinterest parties usually involve women bringing a dish made from a Pinterest recipe and materials to make a craft from the site. Some parties let people trade so they leave with the materials to make a craft, while others allow you to make a craft during the party. I have seen tons of teacher crafts on Pinterest, but I thought requiring teachers to bring materials would be too much for the large number of people that will be in attendance.
I love sessions like Appy Hours and Smackdowns, when participants share tools, so I thought I could apply that model to Pinterest. So my idea is to have a Pinterest Show and Tell.


I'll start the session describing Pinterest for those that may not be using it yet. Then I'll share ways that teachers can use Pinterest, boards they might want to follow, and share a few of the best ideas I've seen and tried. Then the sharing begins. Teachers will send pictures of projects they've tried ahead of time so I can display them or bring the project with them to show the group. I will invite everyone to share their Pinterest account names so we can connect with each other and create group boards.

I think this will be a fun session. I'll write another post to let you know how it goes. Right now it looks like I'll be doing this at the end of September. If you have a Pinterest Show and Tell I would love to hear about it.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great idea! I'd love to try this but right now our district blocks Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our district blocks it as well, but I'm going to take screen shots to show them how to use it, screen shots of ideas and send them links to boards that they might want to follow. I think you can still do it. The teachers are going to send me pics of their projects for a Power Point or bring the actual project in to show off.

      Delete
  2. This might be what I need in order to NOT hate Pinterest. I'll have to see if another librarian might want to do something like this for our Waiver Day. I'll stick to what I do best... books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get sucked into Pinterest like me. It will cut back on your reading and I don't know what I would do without your reviews:)

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant! I'm sure Pinterest is blocked at my school, but I'd like to do this at a technology event. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in! Sounds like fun! Our district blocked Pinterest for a while, but there was such an outcry by teachers who use it for bookmarking lesson ideas, that it was eventually unblocked.
    The Book Bug

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete